[GNUnet-developers] question on copyrights in gnURL / cURL

From: ng0
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] question on copyrights in gnURL / cURL
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 18:32:21 +0000

No matter if we end up with wget2 or stick with gnURL,
the code on gnURL is out there. However since I picked
up its maintenance I touched many many files, but only
added one copyright header in a new file.

FSF licensing is a small team, so maybe we have someone
here with a little bit of expertise: I think I need to
add copyright header (or at the very least a name+email
and a way to display that this file was changed within
gnURL) by now. With the license cURL uses:

Would I be allowed to just grep the "cURL" in the header
of all files in cURL or simply within the files I touched?

And: is it required at all? I have tasks to do which are
way more fun (and necessary) than git grep + sed'ing through
an ever-growing fork.

For example neomutt, an effort to add new features and
more programmatical changes to mutt has kept all the
original headers and added no copyright notes (no header name
changes, no copyright lines, etc) (GPL2 licenses iirc).
One could argue where a copyright'able contribution
begins. I just have a questionmark on the amount of
changes I have in gnURL compared to cURL based on the
git commits and if it requires any statement somewhere
(not everyone reads git logs).

At its core all the changes I made are with the build system
of cURL and how it behaves, renamed files, renamed documents,
renamed occurences, references of files, and some more
renames and fixes still pending.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588