Re: [GNUnet-developers] New gnunet-guile & guix integration [Was: A few

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] New gnunet-guile & guix integration [Was: A few comments and fixes to the documentation]
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 18:35:54 +0000

Amirouche Boubekki transcribed 2.5K bytes:
> On 2018-01-06 20:03, ng0 wrote:
> > Amirouche Boubekki transcribed 3.1K bytes:
> > >
> > > The new code is less confusion with less macrology and less code in
> > > general,
> > > it's my code afterall ;)
> >
> > Cool. Do you want push access to that repo or a new one on gnunet.org
> > if that's more convinient for you? You'd just have to send an ssh key
> > (ideally gpg signed and encrypted), the access would be just for the
> > one repo.
>
> I am not confident enough to use signed & encrypted ssh keys yet.

Okay, all in good time. Like written in IRC, I think at least a minimal
introduction to signing commits, creating your key etc should be part of
the Manual one day to keep it self contained. Or in one of the books,
not necessarily a top priority. But we know the problem and most of us
have been there I guess.

> You will find my public key attached to this mail.
>
> My take on this is to restart from scratch, so a new repository will be
> best.

Done, with gnunet-guile2.

> > > I already have a sketch of gnunet-downloader which works.
> >
> > Superb :) I didn't expect any of this to happen. So good :)
> >

> I hope you are not in a hurry, I want to make it right this time
> and fill the holes I have in my understanding of how guile ffi works.
> In particular regarding GC.

No, this has been on my very long term goal list. I'll try to make a
post this month I could link you to. In short, take your time. Better it
works instead of barely works and starts gathering dust.

> > > Also, we need to discuss guix integration at some point, but like I
> > > said
> > > earlier I aim for generic bindings of gnunet not something specific to
> > > guix.
> >
> > The last part is exactly what the earlier version of gnunet-guile /
> > guile-gnunet
> > was working towards to, and what my primary interest in the long run is
> > for
> > this.
>
> So basically, guix requires the API to publish and download stuff over
> gnunet.
> Is that correct?
>
> ~ amz3

Yep, it would make guix publish/pull/download/etc possible.

[unnecessary, optional part:]
However it doesn't fix the problems with GNUnet FS that will
need to be tested and addressed before we could have an reliable
system like that. But I'll be the first to jump on that ship.
I find it's easier to discuss certain ideas face to face, so
once you get there with the bindings, if it works out a meeting
would make it easier. Electronic communication would work too though.
I have some written notes on paper that I need to commit, and old
discussions about how this would work out.

There's a prototype for the old gnunet-guile that I dumped into
my guix repo that was written by the original author. worked as
a PoC.