Re: [GNUnet-developers] using $TMPDIR instead of /tmp

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] using $TMPDIR instead of /tmp
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 18:49:47 +0000

Christian Grothoff transcribed 3.9K bytes:
> On 05/06/2018 08:34 PM, Nils Gillmann wrote:
> > Christian Grothoff transcribed 2.9K bytes:
> >>
> >> Yes, you got it perfectly right.
> >>

> > I've changed the config files, now the problem for us in Nix and Guix
> > will be that the silly maximum unix path length will be hit quiet often...
> > at least for the Guix build chroot when the chroot is in
> > /tmp/guix-build-gnunet-git1.drv-0/
> >
> > The $GNUNET_TMP then gives you diretories like
> > /tmp/guix-build-gnunet-git1.drv-0/gnunet/WAHTEVER-HERE/GOES/NOTHING
> > where previously they just landed in /tmp iirc.
> >
> > We should make it possible to set the value of GNUNET_TMP before make check,
> > for example via the equivalent of export GNUNET_TMP="/tmp"; make check.
> >
> > It's quiet unfortunate with the length..
>
> Have you considered re-defining the maximum path length? Given that you
> are a distro, you should be able to recompile everything necessary
> (kernel, libc) with simply a larger value, right?

I think in Guix this originates from the fact that we only patch software
when necessary.
I just digged into the Microsoft path length limits, and they arrived at
some pretty intense length nowadays. Apple allows longer paths as well.
I'm not sure about the *BSDs.

It would make sense for Guix to extend this. It's just 1 file that defines
this limit, at least in the Linux kernel.

I'll re-post this to guix-devel @ gnu to get some feedback.

For us, I think it's okay when I just commit the changes and if a build bot
breaks,
the person who finds that this is related to my commit can revert it.