Re: [GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] website and logo rework
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 18:02:05 +0200

Hey,

> [...]
>> under current law corporations can OWN letters, and if the letter "T"
>> (or "t", in any font or color, in any logo that may possibly resemble
>> two lines crossing at an angle) is asserted by DTAG to be their
>> property, there is a chance that any logo resembling a "V" may be
>> asserted to be owned by another billion-dollar company and *we* cannot
>> finance a 500k decade-long lawsuit to demonstrate the contrary.
>>
>> Thus, I think that choosing a logo that may remotely resemble a letter
>> is dangerous in today's world, and while the proposed logo is nice, it
>> is too close to a "V" (and one of the more extreme legal advice we got
>> over the "T" was that even _possibly_ violating an existing trademark
>> without legal advice from a lawyer would be negligent and could cause
>> GNUnet's Vorstand to be held personally liable for financial damages to
>> tens of thousands of Euros just for the other party's legal costs).  Not
>> fun. So let's be VERY careful about the new logo...
>
> Couldn't we apply for trademark of the name GNUnet to be on the safe
> side? That would just be Switzerland or Germany, depending on who applies.
> It's not a good solution, but who knows what some random company is
> daydreaming of...
>
>> </management>
>> <sarcasm>
>> I read reports that DTAG also applied for a trademark on the term
>> "internet". So at least there we are safe.
>> </sacrasm>
>>
>> More below...

>>> Agreed. I am not sure, but isn't there a redesign in the works? Who does
>>> it? And is there progress or is it done behind closed doors? (Just asking)
>>
>> Not at all, the Git repository for the main page (under development) is
>> at  https://gnunet.org/git/www.git/
>>
>> Now, the plan is that some parts will be generated, like the texinfo
>> handbook in gnunet.git will be HTMLized and put online in the usual way,
>
> - where we agreed (I think?) for deploying them on docs.gnunet.org with some
>  structure.
>  I'd like to have documentation of more than just gnunet on there (gnunet-gtk,
>  gnunet-python, etc etc).
>
>> and the IRC bots (will/are being?) rewritten to avoid the Drupal-ness.
>
> - the plan here was to use what powers botbot.me, at least Devan porposed
>   this.
>
>> Similarly, the goal is to convert the existing bibiography data to
>> anonbib-style.  I don't know where the repos for those are (ng0 ought
>> to), but they should be opened to all as soon as there is something there.
>
> - https://gnunet.org/git/gnunetbib.git/, which is progressing with extreme
>  slowness (as is my work on anonbib itself), contributors *really* welcome
>  and more than just wanted! basically you try to build the bib and see it
> crash,
>  track down the right link. enter data of gnunet, or something like that.
>  It's been too long since I've looked at it. It's mostly selfexplanatory, but

Sorry for highjacking this thread but: When I tried a make I got a lot of
errors regarding double quotes "}}" that were basically wrong. Did that happen
in some kind of auto conversion?
After fixing around 30 of those I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "writeHTML.py", line 249, in <module>
    writePageSet(config, bib, tag)
  File "writeHTML.py", line 157, in writePageSet
    cache_url_path=cache_url_path)
  File "writeHTML.py", line 109, in writeHTML
    base_url=root)
  File "writeHTML.py", line 49, in writeBody
    print >>f, e.to_html(cache_path=cache_path, base_url=base_url)
  File "/Users/schanzen/gnunet/gnunetbib/BibTeX.py", line 603, in to_html
    htmlAuthors = [ a.htmlizeWithLink() for a in self.parsedAuthor ]
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
make: *** [all] Error 1

BR