Re: [GNUnet-developers] documentation: Rewriting the Installation Handbo

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] documentation: Rewriting the Installation Handbook with a focus on simplicity and coverage
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 08:34:59 +0000

Nils Gillmann transcribed 693 bytes:
> Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 10K bytes:
> >

> > > On 3. Jun 2018, at 22:33, Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 6.5K bytes:
>
> > > Ideally it works like this: identify package manager. Look at
> > > the command you need to run to install it. Done.
> >
> > Well that first requires packages. I do not thing we are there yet so this
> > part would be blank.
>
> We are in a good number of Operating Systems. The number can still grow,
> but it's more than 3.
>

> I'll reply to the rest later.

Okay.

While I think you missed the point or your understanding of Docker is
incomplete,
here's another take on this:

traditionally the INSTALL file, which in GNU projects often turned into some
kind of boilerplate (at least from what I've read), contained the information
how to install a software.
I think what you were getting at, is website content.

I think here's how to split and how I will handle this:

* I will look at `INSTALL' in the repository and see if I can edit it or even
have to
* Provide an extending document which outlines details for odd ways some
Operating Systems
  which we document.
  Even Docker falls under 'Can be documented in small textfiles'.
* Remove the Installation Handbook. We don't really need it. Move its relevant
content
  into the user handbook and other parts.
* 2019 -> let's write a good website which includes how to simply install
GNUnet.

No one ever reported problems installing GNUnet in binary form. It was always
about
how to run it, how to configure it, etc. The matter of configuration of compile
time
options etc will be part of the developer handbook.

WDYT?