Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] New README.md and Github
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 15:15:30 +0000

Hi Christian and Devan,

here's my take on this:

Christian Grothoff transcribed 4.8K bytes:
> Hi Devan,
>
> I don't quite see the point of the README.md: the existing README is
> perfectly readable for everybody, and having duplicate information is
> confusing (now one has to update two documents, and users may wonder
> which one they should read!).  I'd prefer to focus on having one
> document with good quality (and README is standard in GNU), and
> otherwise on having a good manual (texinfo and Web site).  If we want
> something that looks nice, effort should probably first be put into the
> Web site and the manual, where styling is actually effective.

I know we share a dislike for Markdown. What Devan told me would be
more like an "nicer" README. The content would be the same - it could
even be generated. Pointless from our side, but there are already
project tracking gnunet on github, for example equalitie:
https://github.com/equalitie/gnunet-channels

For ourselves it wouldn't be necessary, but consider it a community
service.

> As for Github, as GNU we should never endorse or encourage users to use
> non-free software, and Github is non-free.  Hence there should not be an

While I agree with this:
The assesment of GNU did not include lines about non-free software. As
long as the client side code is okay (does not load non-free code), it
is good enough for GNU.

> official mirror there either. I also don't see a need, especially since
> as of yesterday we do have the new GNUnet server "running" (except no
> services are there yet, but configuration and migration can start
> "today"), so we finally do have redundant infrastructure (at least once
> we have it all setup properly).

The point of the mirror/patch-grabbing location would be an
augmentation of our work, not a primary focus. Github hosts a large
community of developers which can not be ignored. Well okay, you can
ignore them.. but even when we get only a couple of contributions more
this way, it still counts. Yes, it is unfortunate that some (have to)
rely these services, but we can't get the whole world sign up on our
gitolite server. Email lists are more accessible, yes. But what I'm
getting at is that we lose nothing by testing this opportunity with
enough safety in place and well written guidelines.  We would not
*recommend* the use of github. We can even state as before that the
mailinglist is prefered and so forth.

We don't get this with just a new server.