Re: [GNUnet-developers] EcDSA signature scheme

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] EcDSA signature scheme
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 17:51:30 +0200

> On 13 Jul 2018, at 22:37, Bernd Fix <address@hidden> wrote:
> And maybe even a third one: I stumbled across an approach to use
> Curve25519 keypairs for both ECDH and Ed25519 signatures
> [https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/curves/2014/000293.html].

I don’t think it breaks Taler per se, but it’s needlessly complex.. and it
damages the deterministic signatures property of Ed25519.

Also, I’m not 100% sure that NaCL based libraries lack a suitable Edwards
scalar multiplication.  They may not expose it, but Ed25519 signature
verification involves a variable-time double scalar multiplication.   This
variable-time operation suffices, except that it enables javascript side
channel attacks.  You could prevent those using key splitting.  Ain’t pretty
obviously.  :)

Jeff