Re: [GNUnet-developers] How does the history works in the pubsub service

From: xrs
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] How does the history works in the pubsub service
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 10:26:36 +0200

Hi Mildred,

> I'm interested in what the gnunet pubsub service does, in particular
> the place history. Is it just a history gathered by the pubsub
> service? Is it synchronized across the network? Can I get the history
> of past messages of a place before I joined (as guest or owner)? If
> so, how is the history stored in the network. As a user of the pubsub
> service, and owner of a place, can I store the history of that place
> somewhere safe and be sure that's is shared across the network?

I can not speak of the current GNUnet implementation we have, because
it was not possible for us to verify the functionality, so I'll speak
about the concept. Every pubsub channel has its own history. The
channel owner can set a policy to control access and restrict the
history log. The history is stored in the pubsub service. Messages are
distributed within the channel members and stored locally in a database.
Depending on the channel policy messages can be replayed (which
is the history). Apart from this there exists a distributed channel
state which contextualizes the channel. This one is also stored in the
database and will be synchronized (across the network, more precise:
the channel) when joining the channel and if the state changes.

> I had a few ideas about what I wanted to do:
>
> - A blog software, probably something that Secushare wants to do in
> the end. A blog is going to be a place owned by the auther. Then
> comes the questyion above of how the history is going to be kept.

Superb, a blog is one usecase we see :)

> - A web server that serves files from gnunet-fs. When the file is
> updated on gnunet-fs, the web server would download the new copy and
> server the new files. Goal: have the webserver running on a server
> unattended and update the files from my laptop. Use gnunet for the
> synchronization.

Interesting idea. I suppose the webserver is private, otherwise you'd
undermine the idea of a decentralized network a bit ;-)
AFAIK gnunet-fs needs some fixes to perform better.

cheers,
xrs