Re: [GNUnet-developers] [Help-gnunet] Ideas of debt tracking system to r

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [Help-gnunet] Ideas of debt tracking system to replace currencies
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 15:51:08 +0100

A priori, your idea sounds like MakerDAO, as well as I understand them.

Anonymity is not a problem for decentralized system.  There is a problem with
Sybil attacks just from the underlying network, but any scheme to address that
can either be transformed into a zero-knowledge scheme that achieves the same
goals, or else should not be considered a reasonable scheme in the first place.

Anonymity is a essential security property for any payment system because
without anonymity the payment scheme actively harms the participants.  We
believe that fungibility breaks down without anonymity too.

It’s true debt interacts poorly with simple anonymity scheme, but one might
address this in several ways:

1st)  We’d imagine virtual tax payment tokens can enforce taxation in many
scheme by travelling in the opposite direction of payments.  I recently
“helped” a friend design a virtual obligation fulfilment tokens scheme for
cheaper anonymous payment forwarding in payment channels.. where “helped” means
I kept breaking their designed until they came up with virtual obligation
fulfilment tokens.  I’d imagine some virtual debt tokens scheme could support
anonymous payments denominated in debt too, so respected parties authorise
assuming debt or outright insure the debt, and the tokens they issue flow
backwards from the money itself.

2nd)  We might settle debts among parties with some zero or low-knowledge
protocol.  If I wanted to do this, then I might attempt to port our Fog of
Trust protocol to universal reencryption and associated debts using ideas from
QuisQuis.

I've never read "Debt: The First 5000 Years” but I’m dubious that replaying
history works so well for constructing money today.  In any case, individuals
handle debt poorly for everyday purchases that require anonymity, but well
enough for large purchases that do not require anonymity, like land.  In fact,
any debt based distributed payment system built might worsen problems like debt
slavery, create starvation, etc.

We should therefore focus on non-debt based anonymous pay fine with non-debt
based anonymous payment schemes, like Taler, ZCash, etc., attempt to wean
individuals off using debt for small purchases, and leave debt for the existing
financial world, ideally recreating sane bankruptcy laws in places that lack
them like Spain.

Jeff