Re: [GNUnet-developers] spdx proposal (aside: public domain licenses)

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] spdx proposal (aside: public domain licenses)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 22:19:12 +0100 (CET)

I think I have to read up more on cc0 and public domain, as well as
the history of FSF position towards it to make a meaningful claim on
the licenses.

Meanwhile I personally find 0bsd / zero-clause BSD easier to be understood by
humans for reasons I wrote before, making it a more obvious choice. Previously
I have just written custom 2 liners where I simply dedicated something to the
public domain.
Of course we will continue to have auto-generated artifacts in the repository
which simply state "... is in the public domain". One can overthink the
simplicity, and as long as we don't end up copying code which wasn't
public domain and putting it in the public domain: either of cc0 or 0bsd
should be good enough, leaving it up to people to chose as long as there's
a SPDX identifier for it.