Re: [GNUnet-developers] estimated 0.11 release or next rc?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] estimated 0.11 release or next rc?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 16:44:21 +0000

Hartmut Goebel transcribed 5.6K bytes:
> Am 28.01.19 um 13:40 schrieb Schanzenbach, Martin:
> > My angle would be that managing gitlab instead of BB+mantis+gitolite is:
> > 1. Less maintenance overhead (A single solution)
> > 2. Better integration (see above)
> > 3. Better overall quality and appearance (subjectively)
>
> I strongly support moving to an integrated system like gitlab. While
> Martin already mentioned many reasons, I want to add one:
>
> * Attracting more developers
>
> The current setup requires three(?) accounts, learning new systems

I think we could have LDAP, but I'm in favor of less complexcity for
a small number of developers (currently less than 100 gitolite accounts).

> (mantis, BB), adopting to a new workflow. learning where to find what,
> etc. Additionally Matis is just old-fashined and uncomfortable to use.
> This will distract new developers. And those who are conviced will spend
> time in learning this setup instead of contributing to the project.

Even if we had an onboarding guide, I think people would continue asking
questions how they can contribute to some of our projects.

Personally I'm no fan of Gitlab, but out of all the integrated options
it seems what most people today are already familiar with.
It's somewhat similar to our move to git. I don't like git, but people
just know it (learn it in university, in other projects, etc).
It could lower the bar for contributing to gnunet, though we still need
to write a guide on how to contribute to apply our current setup and
policies to a solution like Gitlab.
Concluding with a real-world example: Last year one of the people I study
with got curious about gnunet. He looked into out cgit, got confused
how "this Github" does not scale in resolution, it's hard to read, how
to clone the repository, etc.
So after years of being used to minimal solutions, maybe the world
has moved on and things like Gitlab are expected, people are used to due
work by SourceForge, Github, Gitlab, etc.

Not a fan, but I'm not oppossed to any potential changes.