Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 15:53:29 +0100

On 2/2/19 12:41 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 2. Feb 2019, at 11:12, Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Signed PGP part
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> I'm honestly not sure about your idea, but mostly because I totally
>> don't see where to draw the line, or whether it would help or hurt.
>> Maybe you have a great idea here, but I just see issues:
>>
>> For example, is GNS part of GNUnet "core" or an application? What about
>> gnunet-dns2gns? Is ReclaimID part of GNS?
>

> Yes, I see that problem. The line would have to be drawn more or less on  a
> "best effort"/"least overhead" basis for existing applications.
> For _anything_ new, always default to a new repo and then, if consensus
> and/or common sense agrees, merge it into the core package.

There is certainly nothing wrong with new stuff maturing out-of-tree
first, instead of our current approach of --enable-experimental.

> For example:
>
> I _should_ have built reclaim (src/reclaim) as a separate package. It would
> have included the attribute-based encryption functionality as well (src/abe).
> This would have allowed the dependencies of the gnunet core package to stay
> the same at first.

Or you could have tested in configure.ac whether the reclaim
dependencies were present on the system, and only then built reclaim/ABE
logic. See what we do for libextractor for FS or libogg/libvorbis/etc
for conversation: if the dependency is not available, we 'warn' the
user, but build the parts we can without it.  I understand this can be
suboptimal, say when users cannot tell whether they actually want
libjansson or not, but at least with the correct build system support
optional dependencies are not a major issue IMO.

> If at any time in the future we think the ABE functions are useful to other
> services/apps, we coult merge it into the core.
>  Regarding the dns2gns: as it requires little additional dependencies, I
> would argue that it can sta part of GNS.
> However, the proxy might as well be a completely separate package.

DEB package or TGZ package?

> Think:
>
> $ apt install gnunet(-core)
> $ apt install gnunet-gns-proxy
> $ apt install gnunet-fs
> $ apt install gnunet-conversation
> $ apt install gnunet-gtk
>
> Subjectively, this feels right to me.
> Is separation like this even possible with the current repo structure??

Oh, but this is for me a *completely* different issue. Git repositories
should IMO match release TGZs reasonably closely (modulo submodules),
but *DEB* and *RPM* archives have no need to at all resemble the TGZ
structure! I totally am for Debian more-or-less atomizing GNUnet into
packages like you write above, possibly many more.

> Now we also have to look at how devs look at this (see below).
>

>> Similarly, Lynx's vision for SecuShare incluced file-sharing. How do you
>> manage such dependencies? It seems to be possible to split up the
>> sources into anywhere between 1 and 50 packages!
>
> Yes, in particular the dependency management is a bit non-trivial. I see the
> problem here.
>

>> What do we do with gnunet-gtk? Already some people miss out on
>> gnunet-gtk because they don't get that it's a separate download. Do we
>> create a gnunet-fs with or without gtk? Do you then have to configure
>> and install
>> gnunet-core+gnunet-gtk-base+gnunet-conversation+gnunet-conversation-gtk
>> in that order? Or do we merge all gnunet-gtk stuff with gnunet-core
>> and/or the respective applications? But gnunet-gtk-common cannot even be
>> tested right now without some application.  Is splitting the sources
>> into 30+ sub-sources really going to make it _easier_ to install!??
>
> The build order should not matter for the average user anyway, as he will
> install packages. Not from source.

Yes, but I read your proposal as reorganizing our source (Git!).

> So let us think about the package scenario first.
> I think there are two different "pain points":
>
> - Separation into tiny packages
> - Monolithic "one size fits all"

My feeling: monolithic source, maybe experimental stuff in a separate
Git, but tiny packages for distros with dependency management.

> Now, the problem is that tiny packages also result in a lot of packages for
> distributors, for example.

While with a monolithic source, packages can _choose_ how big (or small)
they want to make the binary packages.

> The monolith, however, results in a _huge_ unreasonable dependency tree
> (Think "apt-get install gnunet" on a headless server that pulls gstreamer for
> conversation).#
> Not all package managers allow dynamic dependencies like e.g. gentoo where
> compiler flags are passed at installation time.
> We need to find a good balance. I am just saying that currently, the balance
> is skewed towards the monolith.

But that could easily be solved with a split DPKG package, we don't need
to re-organize our sources for this. And I totally agree: Debian should
split the package whenever a particular sub-part drags in some larger
dependencies (texlive, gstreamer, any multimedia library, libmicrohttpd,
libjansson, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.).

> The other side is when we think about the development scenarios.
> Why is development of completely unrelated functionality (reclaim, secushare)
> done in a repository alongside the code functions?
> This is prone to lead to FTBFS situations and also makes me have sources I
> never touch or use as a dev.

Right, that's why there I tend to prefer the monolithic source code,
with if possible optional dependencies so I don't have to have ABE to
build it.

> My builds are triggered by unrelated code and maybe prevents my testing in a
> CI.
> Those are not things a dev wants. Separation of concerns as much as possible.

That might be a question of setting up the CI correctly. Maybe it could
trigger building tests in certain directories only if there were changes
in certain submodules but not others?  I must admit I've not read up
enough on BB/Gitlab triggers to say if this is easy or hard to do.

> See above. Users should be made to think in packages anyway.
> Only devs should care about repos.
> I agree with the docs, but my argument is that the docs will stay confusing
> if they try to explain to a user that he needs to
>
> 1. Build from source
> 2. Build in a specific way to add/remove functionality

Above, I discussed TGZ vs DEB. It is even possible that we might want to
discuss Git vs. TGZ vs DEB and have different answers for all three...

Happy hacking!