Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Proposal: Make GNUnet Great Again?
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 10:50:03 +0100

> On 10. Feb 2019, at 10:36, Florian Dold <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 2/10/19 1:55 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
>
>>> An example for such
>>> tooling would be Googles's Repo tool
>>> (https://source.android.com/setup/develop /
>>> https://source.android.com/setup/develop/repo).
>>

>> Actually, google is an example for a proponents of monorepos. So your point
>> is moot here.
>> They need all this tooling _because_ they use a single repo.
>
> Not quite.  While most of Google's code is in a monorepo (that doesn't
> use git), Android is split over multiple git repos.
>
> Also they need all this tooling because they have many projects in one
> monorepo.  What I'm saying here is that we shouldn't split up one
> *project* too much.  Then we don't need that extra tooling!
>
>> Did you even read my last comment? Do you really consider all of the
>> applications as one "GNUnet" that every
>> user (and developer!) actually cares about?
>> I can tell you the number of times I used / developed something for fs /
>> social: 0.
>> And, of course smaller repos make CI faster. It will result in smaller
>> builds (and, more importantly, builds which actually build things that have
>> changed).
>> And please no arguments for stateful builds/runners. I hope we can at least
>> agree that tests and builds should be done in clean environments every time.
>> Else you will not catch a lot of stuff that can go wrong (I experienced this
>> myself when I setup my docker builds for GNUnet which, unlike BB, actually
>> build from scratch)
>
> Is tracking dependencies between repos really that much easier than
> tracking dependencies between subdirectories?
>
> You are (at least I think) making the assumption that high-level GNUnet
> repos would depend on stable versions of GNUnet?
>
> Otherwise, the cost for CI would be the same.  If I make a change in
> GNUnet-base, of course I'll also have to run tests for everything that
> depends on it.  Are you suggesting to just not do integration testing
> anymore?

I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
Of course still do testing. And a successful build of the code _plus_ a
successful test of the core should trigger the build+tests of depending apps.
The gist is:

1. It only triggers if the build+test of the core actually pass
2. The triggered component (e.g. reclaim) does not care about failing
builds/tests in fs. It will still work without it.

>> How would that happen? Can you give a _concrete_ example in
>> fs/social/reclaim where this is true?
>> It is exactly the point that it is completely unclear what effects a
>> configuration switch on what components.
>> If we separate this, we might get _some_ overhead in the configure.ac's but
>> from my experience I expect this to be very little.
>> And our configure.ac is not something I would consider "developer friendly"
>> through its sheer size and complexity.
>
> Let's say I want to enable verbose logging.  Then I need to re-configure
> and re-compile all of the repos I depend on, in the right order.  That
> sucks!
>
> (Re-linking doesn't suffice, as logging is done via CPP macros.)

Not really. If I build reclaim, I will probably use a docker image, say
gnunet:latest for my debugs builds and gunet:<version> for my release builds
which have logging enabled/disabled. This is pretty easy to ensure.
As I said, you are thinking in too much in "every component in own repo".

>> And think about it this way: If a new developer decides to write a new
>> service / application on top of GNUnet, what will he be faced with?
>> Image this app needs only GNS and maybe CADET.
>> The dev will need to integrate and understand the full build and test in
>> order to properly setup this project.
>> If we had a few separate examples of how this can be done in a separate
>> repo, this would go a long way.
>
> I don't see any issues with "incubating" new GNUnet
> applications/libraries in their own repo.  Maybe some of them can then
> be later integrated with the main gnunet.git.

At this point, there is not benefit in integrating it back.

> (I just saw that in your latest email, you're suggesting exactly this
> for reclaimid.  That's is fine, but of course now makes it hard to see
> for other GNUnet devs locally whether they are breaking your code.
> Well, at least the CI should eventually complain.)

That is also the point. They should not care. Do you really think Gtk+ devs
care if they break API/ABI and gnunet-gtk fails to build?