Re: [GNUnet-developers] updates to a namepsace

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] updates to a namepsace
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 22:49:20 +0100

On 2/14/19 8:40 AM, Catonano wrote:

> Il giorno mer 13 feb 2019 alle ore 17:23 Christian Grothoff
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> ha scritto:
>
>     On 2/13/19 12:54 PM, Catonano wrote:
>

>     You can add additional files under the same _identifier_ and also inform
>     downloaders about the _next_ (different) identifier that will be used
>     for "future" versions. But it's a bit tricky, and I've always wondered
>     about the usability of this feature.  I was thinking of just removing it
>     in favor of FS URIs published in GNS.
>

> Thank you, Christian.
>
> Let's see if I understand correctly
>
> an identifier identifies a version.
>
> I can add _new files_ to a version.
>
> But if I want to change old files, I need to issue a new version (that
> is, a new identifier)
>
> Is that correct ?

Not precisely. I would have said that you can publish a set of files
under an identifier. But then all files are equal: nobody can tell which
one is more recent, they are a _set_ (no ordering).

But you can link identifiers and specify what the *next* identifier will
be, thereby creating an order: current and "future". So with that, it is
possible to provide updates and indicate them as "more recent".