Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updating my git work-in-progess branch?

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updating my git work-in-progess branch?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 11:19:09 +0100

> On 15. Mar 2019, at 09:45, Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> Am 15.03.19 um 09:19 schrieb Christian Grothoff:
>> Force pushes are never allowed, you must always rebase.
>
> Rebase also requiers a force push since the branch is not continuing the
> prior history.
>
> I'm used to provide a series of patches for review, fix and clean up,
> them merge or rebase. So for review I need to use an external repo, e.g.
> at gitlab.digitalcourage.de. Not much of a problem for me, but this
> hinders the reviewers workflow.

I don't understand your problem. You can use another git repo as a mirror and
work there if you want. It should just be another remote after all.
You simply do:

$ git checkout -b <mybranch>
Do work
$ git rebase master
$ git checkout master
$ git merge <mybranch>
$ git push

I do not see where you'd need to force push at any point.

>> AFAIK only admins can delete branches that have been pushed to the server.
>
> So after merging a branch I need to ask an admins to remove the old
> branch? Is this a Arbeitsbeschaffungsmaßname?

Hopefully we will have a gitlab setup at some point that allows us to deal with
this using user namespaces and pull requests.
Anyway, deleting branches is not really necessary, but I agree that it will
clutter the main server remote unless we have such a setup.