Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updating my git work-in-progess branch?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updating my git work-in-progess branch?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:17:23 +0000

Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 6.2K bytes:
> I think this is a good idea. We should decide on and document branch naming
> and conventions. Then regularly (e.g. when releasing) do housekeeping.
> Further, access control rights could be handled more lax then for branches
> and for the 1-3 "main" branches we have stronger protection mechanisms.

I for one would prefer not to be one of the few people to be pinged about
branch deletion (which now requires a couple of steps, temporarily being
the deladmin and then revoking the rights again, or something I've never
documented for myself and need to read up every time I do it. Which happens
rarely.)

> The latter was just never really an issue because
>
> 1. open contribution ist not possible
> 2. developers which can contribute are just "trusted" with master as well
> 3. Pretty much everything is done directly in master instead of
> issue->branch->work->rebase&merge which is what _should_ happen
>
> If our developer base grows significantly, then I can see this becoming an
> issue.

Definitely.

> So, maybe we extract the proposal below into a bugreport where we can discuss
> it more and then implement respective changes.

Sounds good.
Since we require the CAA I guess looking into a "mob branch" as
some call an open-for-all branch is a no-go. I looked into this
briefly in the past with my own gitolite site installation and
didn't make much progress so far.