[GNUnet-developers] A Graph Database on top GNUnet (take two)

From: amirouche
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] A Graph Database on top GNUnet (take two)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 19:40:15 +0100

This is a follow up thread about my attempt to build a peer-to-peer graph
database on top of gnunet. My initial thoughts are documented at [0].

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnunet/2014-01/msg00000.html

After experimenting with gnunet-guile2 [1] and thanks to the new documentation I have a light bulb moment where every pieces seems to fit together. Here is an attempt to describe and document my plan. And an opportunity for experienced
people to give more advices or correct my limited knowledge of gnunet.

[1] https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet-guile2.git/

My current idea is to use gnunet fs to share small files (around 1MB) that would be called meme (or atom or something else, I am not sure about the naming). And rely on keywords to link it to others. Keywords would be the gnunet URI of other
meme files.

It would rely on GNS and a TXT record to publish the gnunet fs URI of a map of the database of meme each identity or ego published. Think of this as some kind web
sitemap.xml.

So there is two ways to discover new content in this database.

First, it is via keywords. If one has access to a gnunet URI and want to know what is related to that meme. One can search the gnunet URI as keyword and find out
other memes.

Another way to find out about what happens on the network, is to lookup some TXT record in of known GNS names.

An improvement over this setup will be to make use of pub-sub (via cadet?) to live stream changes to the database. I am not there yet. First, I want the meme network
to be a useable slow network (like a newsgroup or mailing list).