Re: [GNUnet-developers] Binding scheduler with another event loop, gnune

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Binding scheduler with another event loop, gnunet-search and gnunet-publish metadata
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 14:48:42 +0100

On 3/22/19 7:06 PM, Amirouche Boubekki wrote:

> Another batch of questions:
>
> D) If I download a file, do I automatically share it and take part
>    in distributing it or not?

If
[fs]
CONTENT_CACHING=YES
is set, you do, otherwise no.

> E) Depending on the answer of the previous question, do I need to unindex
>    a file I downloaded because I am not interested in sharing it for some
>    reason?

You do not strictly need to, but it has the advantage that if you do,
the bogus search results for possibly no-longer-available file disappear
faster as your peer will stop returning those.

> F) Does it help to publish a file I downloaded?

Yes, as in that case your peer will share the blocks "forever" (until
you unindex), whilst with caching it is more likely that the cached data
will be replaced by other data.