Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab fo

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Discussion, and Help Wanted: Moving to Gitlab for Git, CI, and Issues
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:42:44 +0000

Christian Grothoff transcribed 8.1K bytes:
> On 4/8/19 3:37 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> >> It sounds like you're suggesting that we should have a core team of
> >> developers in official capacity for GNUnet e.V. to look at pull requests
> >> and then say "we think that this doesn't infringe on copyright" and
> >> merge them in.  Is that what you're saying?
> >
> > I did not start the copyright argument and am not even sure if we need to
> > address it (see other mails).
> > What I am saying is that GNUnet e.V. is currently (or better: should be)
> > vetting every contributor wrt the CAA _before_ any contribution is done.
>
> True.
>
> > This vetting process is not transparent and power is quite concentrated
> > (note I am not saying abused).
>
> I'm not sure how this is not transparent, as the list of people who
> signed it is maintained in the gnunet-ev.git, and the CAA is public as
> well.

I had to ask where this list is. So I have this 1/4 finished document
which is not a good on-boarding document, but a better one than now,
which is nix, nada. So we should mention little details like this on
the website or in this guide.

> Also, various people are in principle able to onboard new
> committers. The fact that I collect the printouts is something I'm not
> sure how to fix. I considered putting the signed statements into a Git,
> but figured having scans of people's signatures online was a bad idea (TM).

I remember having to sign a similar document for Erlang contributions,
but they abstracted it into their github-centric organization, so
to have it only digital should be doable if Erlang gets away with it
(also a european business, located in Sweden).