Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 13:38:23 +0000

Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 2.4K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> everytime I show somebody how to start gnunet, the behaviour of gnunet-arm
> seems to be a major pain point because it exhibits two behaviours which,
> combined, are quite odd.
> Those two are:
>
> 1. gnunet-arm -s does not hang but return the user to the terminal
> 2. Logging by default is in that same terminal
>
> (2) basically defeats all advantages (1) would give the user.
> Can we either change (1) or (2) in order to make it more consistent with
> other tools?
>
> So either have gnunet-arm -s hang and on Ctrl-C it also implicity behaves
> like gnunet-arm -e
> OR
> By default, log into a file, maybe even have a gnunet-log or gnuent-arm
> --logs in the future.

2 is quiet annoying, but were there any reasons for it in the
first place?
Why we do it like this is also a frequent question packagers
and people running gnunet-arm for the first time. It also
leads to quiet a lot of questions by confusion.

Adding to this: When you start gnunet-arm and it is already running,
you get no return, it just hangs. This can be confusing, but it's
okay once you know that this is expected (read the docs, ask people).