Re: [GNUnet-developers] Hello! (brief introduction and lots of questions

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Hello! (brief introduction and lots of questions)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 14:30:48 +0200

One month late, but what do you expect from a guy gone arty.

> > ### 1: How might I "serve" files?

Should secushare step out of its unvoluntary condition of
vaporware, then there would be a pub-sub API which actively
pushes content to all subscribers (unlike the humbug they've
put into IPFS in that regard). So doing a website over secu-
share would be somewhat like having a git that is delivered
in form of patchsets by email and always kept up to date at
the recipient side.

> > ### 2: How might I chat with friends?

Again, the long term secushare model would be pub-sub-based
just like Telegram or Whatsapp, but without the centralization.
We would be having several pubsubs for each person (to reflect
the complexity of social reality) and pubsubs for groups
of people. See also the secushare videos on media.ccc.de

> > ### 3: How might I make use of my "ego"s and GNS zones from
> >        multiple machines?

Should we ever get secushare done, it would use pubsubs also
for a person's own needs, distributing ego data to all of
their devices and configs and such.

https://secushare.org/architecture#sec-1-2

> > ### 6: How might an organisation manage a presence on GNUnet?

In secushare, those pubsubs providing a website also have a way
for subscribers to give feedback and engage in transactions. This
may result in further pubsubs being made available, and it may
involve Taler payments.

> > ### 7: How might "local networks" work?

In secushare you could model your local network as a subgraph
of your social network, and/or have those privileged nodes
participate in a shared pubsub that serves to authenticate
each other. It's similar to what you do with GNS, only that
pubsub would be push-oriented instead of DHT-query-based.

> > ### 8: If I setup my machines to use GNUnet, how can I have
> >        them try and use GNUnet for all traffic, but fall-back
> >        to legacy internet when the service I'm requesting
> >        isn't reachable over GNUnet?

At least one question that doesn't trigger a secushare answer.
So far no gateways into the insecure interwebz are considered
from our side.

> > ### 9: What sorts of applications might I write for GNUnet
> >        considering what systems already exist?

Writing applications for secushare would have the extra
advantage of being able to leverage the distributed social
graph, pubsub with its distributed state and a few other
things. Too bad it's all vaporware actually.

> > Or say I wanted to create a social network, […]
> > might an application use its own protocol […]?

Yes, secushare is intending to use an extensible text-based
protocol on top of the bare-bones binary gnunet protocols.
Most applications can be modeled as message types for that
text-based protocol with various advantages derived from that.

> As we want to abandon the client-server world, most Internet
> applications will need to be redesigned and rewritten to work in a true
> peer-to-peer fashion.

Indeed, one of the reasons for doing so is described in
https://secushare.org/anonymity#sec-4 , but in general
we don't want to promote architectures where knowledge
accumulates on server nodes. The mere fact that we don't
recommend using the socket API implies that pretty much
everything has to be adapted.

> > ### 11: Last one. What chat rooms and systems can I start
> >         participating in right now?

Since gnunet folks chose to be indexed into the NSA
databases at all times, we have our own hopefully
privacy-preserving chats:

        irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/welcome
        ircs://psyced.org/welcome

Cheers!

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
   //  http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/