Re: [GNUnet-developers] Revive doxygen on gnunet.org

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Revive doxygen on gnunet.org
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 13:26:36 +0000

address@hidden transcribed 3.4K bytes:
> Christian Grothoff transcribed 3.2K bytes:
> > On 7/5/19 8:19 PM, xrs wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'd like to put doxygen again in place. I propose:
> > >
> > > 0. install a weekly cronjob for user doxygen and do "make full" in the
> > >    respective folder.
> >
> > weekly is excessively slow, daily or hourly would be fine I think.
> >
> > > 1. Create two URLs
> > >    a. https://docs.gnunet.org/handbook/
> > >    b. https://docs.gnunet.org/doxygen
> > >
> > > Is this a good idea? I know it's not precise enough.
> >
> > I'd prefer to keep the full handbook under docs at the top-level (also
> > to avoid breaking links again!), and just do doxygen.gnunet.org for
> > doxygen.
>
> This is not what we have talked about in the beginning of the docs
> discussion. I don't expect you to remember this, but I think there
> are still open tickets which point out that this gathering of
> subdomains is a temporary state, and you even agreed that this is
> temporary. I mean we can
> still redirect with regexp, it's easy. I would like to do what Taler
> did and use a docs landing page, and not have 1 new subdomain for
> every new feature which is related to text one can read. This will
> end up confusing people where to read about this.
> If you want the subdomains, the docs.* (or whatever) page can link
> to them, but outside of gnunet.org having a central landing page
> is good, having one toplevel subdomain for all of this would be
> better.

To extend on this:
For every subdomain we have to create, we have to bother the current
highest admin and dns level admin.
So this is also to not have to involve too many people in the process
on our side.
Furthermore, as outlined in the tickets (maybe? idk, it's been long),
a central landing page from the perspective of someone who these days
is searching for information, is easier.
This could as well be integrated into gnunet.org and not *.gnunet.org,
so that you simply get a clean overview on gnunet.org (in addition to
the menu or as replacement!) to make your selection for the documents
etc you need.
Just pointing to subdomains like we do right now without explanation
creates too much friction.