[GNUnet-developers] Questions on RPS

From: xrs
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Questions on RPS
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:00:58 +0200

Hi,

some questions concerning RPS.

The handbook says:
> In literature, Random Peer Sampling (RPS) refers to the problem of
> reliably drawing random samples from an unstructured p2p network.
https://docs.gnunet.org/handbook/gnunet.html#RPS-Subsystem

What is the meaning of reliably in this context. This sould be added as
it might be important to know for this service.

Second, it says:
> Another addition to the original protocol was made: The sampler
> mechanism that was introduced in Brahms was slightly adapted and used
> to actually sample the peers and returned to the client. This is
> necessary as the original design only keeps peers connected to random
> other peers in the network. In order to return random peers to client
> requests independently random, they cannot be drawn from the
> connected peers. The adapted sampler makes sure that each request for
> random peers is independent from the others.

If I understand this correctly RPS doesn't want to rely on the connected
peers to provide random peers, but sample the known and choosen random
peers directly. What do you use for this, CADET?

cheers,
xrs