[GNUnet-developers] arm service status

From: Florian Dold
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] arm service status
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 11:14:12 +0200

Hi *,

I ran into two usability issues with GNUnet's arm:

When a service couldn't be executed at all because the binary doesn't
exist, arm logs a message at the *info* log level.  This means the
message usually won't be seen *anywhere*, since the info log level is
too verbose and thus supressed.  I'd consider a service that can't start
because of a missing binary a pretty severe error!

Also, "gnunet-arm -I" does not tell you about failed services at all.
Is there some fundamental reason why arm can't do this, or is it just
not implemented yet?  It currently lists "Running services", there could
simply be an additional "Failed services" that lists the last exit
status code and the time when the service will be restarted.

(This sounds easy enough that I would just give it a shot myself, just
wanted to confirm first that there's no complication I didn't know about.)

- Florian