Re: conversation submodule questions

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: conversation submodule questions
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 14:19:59 +0200

Ok I thought about this and I think we had this question before.

The thing is: The default build should actually include _all_ plugins and
components.
Why? Because else there will never be a package including mysql/postgresql
conversion/fs etc.

Now the question we had some time ago was:
Should we separate all those subsystems (and probably even plugins) into their
own respective repositories so that they will also result in individual
packages; e.g. having:

gnunet.git (main repo. base services: core, peerstore etc maybe even up to GNS,
this also includes _only_ default plugins, e.g. sqlite/heap backends etc)
gnunet-conversion.git (conv repo)
gnunet-plugins-{mysql,postgres}.git (namestore DB backends for large GNS zone
admins)
... etc

The other option is to have "fat" default build of gnunet.git where basically
everything (minus experimental) is built and we force all dependencies. Then,
any packager will have to build this and after separate the individual binaries
into smaller packages in order to have sane dependencies (see the conversiation
stuff but also mysql and postgres)

I kind of like option 1 (again) even though I am now convinced that from a
developer perspective option 2 is less effort.

Oh and there is an option 3: Like option 2, but the packagers will just put all
dependencies in the package: mysql, postgres, gstreamer etc etc (<- this is
what will happen instead of what I wrote in option 2 as that is what we would
like to see happen)

BR