Re: GNUnet PoWs hashfunction

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: GNUnet PoWs hashfunction
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 13:24:31 +0200

> On 18 Apr 2020, at 09:28, Schanzenbach, Martin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ideally, the PoW should take ~1 week. I am not sure yet if the chosen
> parameters fit this requirements.
> If you have any input on parameter choice or can run a revocation (with the
> argon2 code from that branch) on your device with 17-25 WORKBITS that would
> help greatly.
> You will need to have libargon2 installed.

Is 1 week at 100% CPU right?  Any parameters sound painful at such durations.
Is this for revoking once you lost the key or something?  I though PoW only
exists here because you broadcast?  Or is that 1 week as a very backgrounded
task?

As an aside, there is a verifiable delay function (VDF) project by the ethereum
foundation, which protect against parallelism.  I’d expect VDFs provide less
protection against ASICs per se than Argon2, but they should ideally provide
relatively high confidence in ASIC speed.  VDFs should only consume one core
while running, which might improve user experience.  We can chat about this
once some VDF achieves the desired confidence in ASIC speed.  ;)

Jeff