Re: Choice of block size for file-sharing

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Choice of block size for file-sharing
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 16:54:33 +0200

Hi pukkamustard,

The rationale was/is using a power of two while also staing below the
~63k block size of GNUnet CORE (so we can fit into one message), which
itself arises from the use of a 16-bit integer for message size, which
itself was used (a) to fit into a single IP packet, (b) to fundamentally
avoid problems with attackers sending us individual messages that don't
fit into the heap on smaller devices, (c) to reduce potential impacts
from (bad code failing to properly guard against) integer arithmetic
overflows (as the 16-bit inputs don't overflow so easily after they are
promoted to (usually) 32-bit 'int's), and (d) to limit the impact of
malformed blocks by allowing ECRS to detect bogus blocks at a fine
granularity level. Also, it was a massive increase from the _original_
(2001) design, where we used 1k blocks to fit into unfragmented UDP
packets on Ethernet ;-).

Note that _today_, if I had time to re-implement FS, I would probably
stick to this block size in terms of verification / CORE-transmission,
but would not issue queries for individual blocks. Instead, it would
probably be better to issue a query for a 'stream' of blocks and require
peers to store all blocks for a file together. That would likely result
in a better privacy/availability trade-off than what we have today.

Happy hacking!

Christian