Re: Git commit messages

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: Git commit messages
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:30:13 +0200

> On 27. May 2020, at 11:24, Florian Dold <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 5/27/20 2:46 PM, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
>> Here, a message of "fix #1234" is NOT sufficient.
>> I have done so myself and have found ~50 in the current log since 0.12.1.
>> Those are not useful messages. Having to do to mantis to check the changes
>> meaning
>> is quite annoying. Especially if the fix is not detailed in the bug report
>> itself.
>> The commit message should explain the _change_. The bugreport should
>> document the _reason_.
>
> Yeah, that's a really good point.
>
> Makes sense to prioritize the needs of people who'll read the change log
> over the committer who'll have to spend ten more seconds copy&pasting
> the bug title!

Yes. But it is more than that. The bug title may be "gnunet-identity crashes
when used with special characters".
But the commit message should _probably_ read:

"Sanitize input to gnunet-identity. Fix #1234"

Not all bug reports are formulated as a solution. I would even go so far as
only a developer could even
create such a title. A user report is unlikely to have a solution, only
document a problem.

BR