Re: NGI Pointer application

From: hyazinthe
Subject: Re: NGI Pointer application
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 23:39:02 +0200

Hello,

trying to help, as usual:

1.
> ### Impact 2 Open source contributions (1000c):
>
> We will release all documentation, specification, source code, test
> cases and benchmarking tools under the GNU Affero General Public License
>
> and/or Creative Commons License where applicable.  We will contribute to
>
> and engage with the standardization process of the IETF trust under the
> canonical public license for RFCs.  We will also submit proposals for
> talks about the project to European hacker and tech conferences.

Improvement suggestion with a few changes here and there:
"### Impact 2—contributions to the commons (1000c):

We will release all documentation, specification, source code, test
cases, and benchmarking tools under "GNU Affero General Public License, version
3 or any later version"
and/or Creative Commons License where applicable.
This way said resources paid by the people are given to and stay in the hands
of the people;
so, all members of society are and stay free to use, copy, distribute, study,
change, and improve said resources.

We will contribute to and engage with the standardization process of the IETF
trust under the
canonical public license for RFCs.  We will also submit proposals for
talks about the project to European hacker and tech conferences."

Reasoning:
+ More emphasis on the benefit from regulators' perspective in easy to
understand words and explanation in headline and text
+ Practical license clarification, implicitely highlighting that the projects'
license approach protects user's freedom even better

2.
> ### Team motivation (500c):
>
> Bernd Fix has been involved with a privacy-preserving Internet as part
> of his duties at the Wau Holland foundation, which supports research,
> development and education in this domain. Bernd has been instrumental in
>
> furthering the standardization process for the GNU Name System, an
> privacy-enhanced alternative to DNS. DHTs play a crucial role for
> performance, availability and privacy in many P2P architectures,
> motivating Bernd to work on improving the state of the art in this
> important domain.

Improvement suggestion:
"...furthering the standardization process for the GNU Name System, a
privacy-enhanced alternative to DNS."

Reasoning:
Typo fix—"a", not "an"

Regards, Bastian Schmidt