Re: File sharing insfrastructure

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: File sharing insfrastructure
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 09:34:48 +0200

Hi,

> On 20. Sep 2020, at 03:39, Luis <lfl.sl@soeiro.com.br> wrote:
>
> Hello there, I'm new here.
>
> There is a lot of information to gather and I'm still starting to look at it.
> Could anybody here comment on the following (or point to places where I can
> start to find more information)?
>
> I've been playing with the idea of implementing a proof of concept project on
> top of GNUnet filesharing API. But there are a few questions that I would like
> to search the answers for, before diving into everything:
>
> 1) How does GNUnet deal with filesharing "abuse"? For instance, somebody puts
> lot of objects/files in the network but doesn't share storage.

See here:
https://docs.gnunet.org/handbook/gnunet.html#Accounting-to-Encourage-Resource-Sharing
Generally, the handbook is a good starting point.

> 2) I've read that when you first share a file, it might take a few hours to be
> available. Is it accurate?

No, I think the last time we tried it together I managed to retrieve the file
pretty quickly.
YMMV.
As long as the network is small, chances are that it will not take long if the
file is small.
The current problems arise from our connectivity layer TRANSPORT which is
undergoing a rewrite to address the issues.

> 3) How does GNUnet breaks the files for storage? Does it use same size chunks?

I am not an expert on FS details, but maybe this helps:
https://docs.gnunet.org/handbook/gnunet.html#Encoding-for-Censorship_002dResistant-Sharing-_0028ECRS_0029

> 4) Does is have any kind of "swarming" (like bittorent, for instance) to make
> is easier to handle a lot of demand?

If you mean segmented file transfer then I think it does, yes.

> 5) For development ideas and objections. I saw there there is software written
> in C and also in Nim. If you could recommend any more modern then C ou C++ to
> develop for GNUnet, what would you recommend and why (be creative)?

Well. The most stable and complete API you will find is the one in C.
However, there is also a Go port: https://git.gnunet.org/gnunet-go.git
And Rust bindings: https://github.com/canndrew/gnunet-rs

The rust bindings are (unfortunately) out of date and do not build with a
recent rust compiler.
However, a working Rust API for GNUnet would be great.

I am not sure how complete the nim bindings are.

BR
Martin