Re: TCP vs BGP attacks

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: TCP vs BGP attacks
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 14:49:37 +0100

What do you mean by attack? An isolated AS? A brief hickup?

If the endpoints are no longer connected (e.g. an AS is cut off), then it does
not really matter which
protocol you use, the communication will be disrupted. The application will
have to handle that.
For TCP, if the disruption is temporary it may be able to recover, as TJM said.
A general "does not overly disrupt TCP connections" seems wrong to me though.

A BGP attack may actually not do anything to the communication if the endpoints
are within the same AS.
So it all depends on what kind of attack we are talking about.
I do not see how an issue with BGP would be different from, say, an ARP
spoofing attack.
Both attacks target the network layer, not the transport.

BR