Re: Idea: Owning Artworks On GNUnet using Non-Fungible Hashes

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: Idea: Owning Artworks On GNUnet using Non-Fungible Hashes
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:42:02 +0100

Heya Jeff, happy new year...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 03:52:41PM +0100, Jeff Burdges wrote:
> Moxie loves talking about platforms vs protocols, but really only legacy
> cruft like Bitcoin and Ethereum adopted this non-upgradeable protocol
> bullshit fairy tails, and even Ethereum wants to upgrade despite not being
> able to do so.  Almost everything modern winds up a platform by his
> definition..
> - Tor Browser auto-upgrades, jut like Signal.  I donno if Tor routers
> auto-upgrade but the Tor project achieves upgrades via good community
> management.

Tor is really exceptional in this. A sufficiently effective mix of
open ears and top-down decision-making. More realistic examples are
IRC and XMPP which never got over the initial design mistakes made
in 1987 and 1998 respectively. Yes, they added a plethora of things,
yet the protocols still suck and get nowhere near to what a Telegram
client/server pair can do. Maybe Matrix also has that interesting
mix of open ears and top-down decision-making, but when I think of
how I suggested both Tor and Matrix should provide for multicasting
abilities so that we can do scalable distributed applications rather
than being forever stuck on client/server with large server nodes,
I didn't get too far in either communities. Maybe I just wasn't
insisting a lot. It's also weird, that not many seem to understand
what I'm talking about, therefore impeding the creation of momentum.

As long as the community doesn't understand what is needed for
scalability, the community is not able to produce true
alternatives to the platforms.

> Asynchronous open world games with collaborative governance are an
> applications that fit blockchains well, and entertains users, so expect
> hoards of betters games running on newer more efficient blockchains.
> Asynchronous games are less flashy than real time games, but they’re
> commonplace, so not really a problem.

Sounds cute.

> Imho GNUnet has more important things to worry about than games.  It’s a
> crowded well funded space, so do something that matters.

Oh, here's a misunderstanding. NFTs may sound like a game to you
but artists are seriously seeking a way to digitally sell IP but
it's ridiculous if effectively they are just selling the address
of a page on their website. Yet the business is already big.
I understand a real need there.

> There remains a question of what should the data transported look like?
> Aside from simple messages, I think pijul looks most promising, but again I
> donno this aspect of the problem space nearly as well.

My answer is still PSYC, the only protocol format I know that
was actually designed to do that job, but pijul could be a
good implementation backend for PSYC state and history.

> If otoh you want to write blockchain games in rust, and be paid for doing so,
> then yes ask me to explain how VRFs and ring VRF give rise to card-like games
> sometime.

Who knows where my nose goes if these lockdowns keep me
off my regular business.