Re: gnurl CVE applicability

From: Nikita Ronja Gillmann
Subject: Re: gnurl CVE applicability
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 17:09:51 +0200

On 4/4/22 16:58, Christian Grothoff wrote:
I don't see how either is terribly relevant for the (limited) GNUnet use-cases of HTTPS. Users would have to work pretty hard on a very customized curl/GNUnet setup to make themselves theoretically vulnerable --- and even then the impact would seem negligible. Worst I can imagine is a network-level adversary doing a MiTM for every hostlist request to force a peer to bootstrap only against malicious nodes the adversary controls. But such a network-level adversary can likely achieve this almost as well by simply dropping traffic.
Thanks! I'll see if I can apply the upstream patches then, even if it's not very likely to be an issue.

Regardless, you should be able to build GNUnet against vanilla libcurl these days, so that might be a better way to avoid worrying about this.

In the context of pkgsrc, the problem is that I can not enforce a change of setting in curl (for example built against gnutls) for the defaults. Or maybe you can explain how a gnunet built against curl and gnurl would differ these days in terms of functionality and features.