Re: Packaging problems

From: madmurphy
Subject: Re: Packaging problems
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 16:01:22 +0100

I have added the Arch packages to the repo, as other distros might find them useful.

--madmurphy

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 7:55 PM Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:
Martin Schanzenbach schreef op ma 06-06-2022 om 16:52 [+0000]:
> > As Maxime says, GNUnet takes a long time to compile (when it
> actually
> > does - I'm having problems with that right now), and presumably
> quite
> > while to test too. The obvious way to reduce those times is to
> simply
> > *reduce the amount of code being compiled and tested*. Breaking up
> > the
> > big repo would achieve that quite nicely.
>
> It really does not (on modern hardware).
> See:
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/schanzen/gnunet/build/4501586/
>
> It takes around 7mins to install & compile from scratch (this
> includes
> installing all dependencies!).
>
> IMO right now "make check" is kind of annoying because it takes too
> long and fails because of bad test design. It needs some love.
> Maybe a high-level, quick "make check" and an optional "make check-
> thorough" idk.

FWIW, I included "make check" time in compilation time (from Guix'
perspective, running tests is just yet another compilation).  And the
computer I use for compilation isn't exactly modern -- according to the
timestamp on /etc/host.conf, it's ~16 years old ... wait no, cannot be
right ...  I'm not sure about the exact year, but at least ~5 years I'd
say?  And that's the current computer (*) which has an SSD, whereas the
computer(^) I used back then for GNUnet was older and had an old
spinning disk.  I guess that isn't representative.

(*) currently held together by duck tape, missing a few screws, keys,
part of the frame and has a crack in the screen -- I cannot recommend
Lenovo Yoga computers.

(^) screen is broken unless a sea star is inserted between the keyboard
and the screen in the right place at the right depth and angle.

Greetings,
Maxime.