Re: About GNUrl and cURL

From: Martin Schanzenbach
Subject: Re: About GNUrl and cURL
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 06:02:33 +0000

Excerpts from madmurphy's message of 2022-09-06 22:17:53 +0100:
> Okay, about the libcurl-gnutls package, Martin was right. If I add this
> line to the PKGBUILD of that package,
>
> ln -s libcurl-gnutls.so.4.8.0 "${pkgdir}"/usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so
>
> Everything goes well in GNUnet and the configure script prints

> HTTP Client:                    curl-gnutls
>
> Now the question is what to do. In theory I could publish my own version of
> libcurl-gnutls on AUR with only that line added, and make GNUnet depend on
> it. But I wonder why Arch developers did that. My guess is that for
> creating the libcurl-gnutls package they copied and hacked the section of
> the PKGBUILD that builds libcurl-compat
> <https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/libcurl-compat/>, which is a
> glue package that also does not ship the unversioned .so file
> <https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/libcurl-compat/files/>. Who
> knows…

My guess is that libcurl-compat and libcurl-gnutls are used by some
packages that are already linked against them.
They are just not useful for development.
That means, if you can find out how the packages linked against
libcurl-compat or libcurl-gnutls are built from source, you can do the
same with the gnunet package.