Re: About GNUrl and cURL

From: Martin Schanzenbach
Subject: Re: About GNUrl and cURL
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 06:06:52 +0000

Excerpts from madmurphy's message of 2022-09-06 22:17:53 +0100:
> Okay, about the libcurl-gnutls package, Martin was right. If I add this
> line to the PKGBUILD of that package,
>
> ln -s libcurl-gnutls.so.4.8.0 "${pkgdir}"/usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so
>
> Everything goes well in GNUnet and the configure script prints

> HTTP Client:                    curl-gnutls
>
> Now the question is what to do. In theory I could publish my own version of
> libcurl-gnutls on AUR with only that line added, and make GNUnet depend on
> it. But I wonder why Arch developers did that. My guess is that for
> creating the libcurl-gnutls package they copied and hacked the section of
> the PKGBUILD that builds libcurl-compat
> <https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/libcurl-compat/>, which is a
> glue package that also does not ship the unversioned .so file
> <https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/libcurl-compat/files/>. Who
> knows…

Ah look here:
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/curl/trunk/PKGBUILD#L94
The curl-compat package does link libcurl.so against the versioned
files.
And curl-gnutls does the same:
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/curl/trunk/PKGBUILD#L94

So, this would actually confirm my initial thoughts that those are
drop-in replacements and that we should not check for libcurl-gnutls at
all.
I have no idea how to "detect" the version of curl in this case.
But, I also do not think it really matters.
So maybe we should just remove the logic that tries to identify the curl
version.