Open PhD position at FU Berlin

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Open PhD position at FU Berlin
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:44:02 +0200

Dear all,

I'm happy to announce that there is an open PhD position for someone to work on a GNU Taler wallet for embedded systems. Key points:

* Your PhD advisor would be Prof. Matthias Wählisch [MW], co-founder of
  RiotOS [Riot]. I'm officially a co-advisor on the project.
  The working language of the group is English.
* The position is in Berlin, you will be expected to relocate there;
  the initial contract will be for 3 years, however, a typical PhD
  in Germany is expected to take 5 years (so plan for ~5 years).
  The earliest possible start-date would be November 1st 2022.
* You need to have a Master's degree in computer science or a related
  field (mathematics, embedded systems). Our ideal candidate would have
  a background in embedded / micro-controller programming, and
  networking (TCP/IP).
* Your salary will be 100% TVL-13 [TVL-13]; the exact amount depends on
  years of experience and family status (and includes contributions to
  health insurance and retirement [Salary]). See [Summary] for a
  "simple" calculation by experience.
* You will write Free Software only, and help the GNU Taler project.

The main project goal is to create a Taler wallet that can run on an "embedded" system (so not a smart phone or a browser) by eliminating the current wallet's dependency on NodeJS/JavaScript and allowing it to run on platforms like RiotOS [Riot]. This should then (1) improve the security of the wallet (by reducing complexity), (2) allow citizens to use Taler without a smartphone (by buying some ideally much cheaper hardware), and (3) possibly set the stage to enable Taler to be used offline [Offline].

If you are interested in the position, please contact us off-list (ideally with a CV).

Happy hacking!

https://grothoff.org/christian/

[MW] https://www.mi.fu-berlin.de/en/inf/groups/ilab/members/waehlisch.html
[Riot] https://www.riot-os.org/