Status of Text implementation

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Status of Text implementation
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 01:04:00 +0100

I just finished a further step of the development of the text network
for GNUstep. After separating out the GSSimpleLayoutmanager form NSText
and the addition of a full text infrastructure with storage/container
and view now the GSSimpleLayoutMangers central formatting routine has
been cleaned up. It should still do that same as before but lost some
300 lines of code. As a next step the remaining code from here and the
code in NSSStringDrawing has to be unified into the
NSSimpleHorizontalTypesetter. Than the most basic parts of the text
network should be working up to there specification.
There are still a lot of missing parts and also some errors remaining.

- Text is sometimes not drawn in its correct format.
- The text container does not change its size with the text view.
- Layout uses much memory resources, perhaps we should switch back to
return the string as a reference from text storage to safe some memory.
- The code in GSSimpleLayoutManger needs further cleanup and may than
move over to NSLayoutManager.
- The ruler class is still missing.
- Only one text view per layout manager is currently possible.

So there is a lot of work left for anybody to join...

I also changed the handling of the text container once more. It now
tracks the size of the text view by default but stops to do so for the
directions in which the text view is resizeable. This is not exactly
what the specification says, but should give the least surprising
results for a programmer using it.