Re: apache.make

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: apache.make
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:31:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Helge Hess wrote:

> There should be some Objective-C wrappers for the Apache API

This would be interesting !

I'm not planning to implement it because it's quite easy to use C API from
Objective-C, but it could make sense to have a little library with an
`ApacheModule' class which can be subclassed...

> and a Config directive for setting up a proper GNUstep environment. Executing
> GNUstep.sh before Apache isn't a viable solution for a production
> environment.

Ahm - I think this is a good suggestion for what can be improved - not
directly applicable, but that's my fault - probably I didn't explain
myself enough.

This stuff is quite different from the Apache adaptor in GSWeb.

apache.make can be used to build Apache modules which contain Objective-C
code and are linked against the GNUstep libraries. (Unlike the Apache
adaptor in GSWeb which is written in pure C).

To load these Apache modules, the dynamic linker needs to find the GNUstep
shared libraries !

If the linker does not find the libraries, the module can't be loaded at
all, no code in the module gets executed, and so we can't parse
configuration options.

I agree with Helge a better solution than executing

. /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/ld_lib_path.sh

before firing apache would be nice.

Possibly the simplest solution is going to be something like

opentool /opt/apache/bin/apachectl start

?