Re: apache.make

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: apache.make
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:44:39 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi, in attach you find gnustep_conf - an Apache module implementing
> Helge's suggestion.
>
> For me, it works fine for CGI and JIGS servlets.
>
> But apparently, on apache 1.3.12 I'm having troubles trying to make it
> work for GNUstep-based modules <not considering the fact that apache
> 1.3.12 exposes its internal type BOOL - which clashes with the objc type
> BOOL - in httpd.h - while on 1.3.14 the type is no longer exposed and Objc
> compiles fine>.  Something strange is happening which I had not time to
> enquiry too much about.
>
> I'll try with a clean apache 1.3.14 at home tonight.

Well - I tried some days ago - forgotten to tell you before - what happens
is simply that the dynamic linker is reading and parsing the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the application startup (checked the source for the
dynamic linker etc) - and reusing the result - can't blaim it for this -
so setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH *after* the process is started has no
effect on how dynamic libraries are loaded.  Only the LD_LIBRARY_PATH at
the application startup is important.  This means you can not use code
inside a process (in this case, an Apache module) to modify the way the
linker searches directories (to help loading another Apache module in this
case).

The remaining solutions are:

 * run . /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh each time, before
   starting Apache;

 * break this GNUstep tabu, and add

   /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps
   /usr/GNUstep/Local/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps
   /usr/GNUstep/Network/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps

   to /etc/ld.so.conf, then run ldconfig once.