Flattened directory structure for GNUstep

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Flattened directory structure for GNUstep
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:42:02 +0000

People (mostly newcomers) keep complaining about the GNUstep directory
structure and objecting to the
cpu/os/libraries subdirectory layout in which binaries are stored.

The power users among us (myself included) then retort that the structure is
good/versatile/powerful
and there's no way we are going to get rid of it for a bunch of people who have
difficulty understanding
nested subdirectories :-)

However, the fact that the issue keeps being raised does indicate that the
directory structure is a
real problem for many people, and may well work against the wide acceptance of
GNUstep.

Accordingly, I have modified the makefiles package (and a few library and tool
makefiles) and configure
scripts to provide the option of a flattened directory structure.   The changes
have just been comitted
to the CVS repository.

If you configure GNUstep with '--enable-flattened', everything should be built
and installed without
the cpu/os/combo directory tree, otherwise behavior should be unchanged.  Of
course, if you reconfigure
with a new directory structure, you will need to completely rebuild/re-install
your GNUstep setup.

As far as writing your own Makefiles is concerned, in the odd cases where you
need to refer to the
locations of binaries, you should use $(GNUSTEP_TARGET_DIR) rather than
$(GNUSTEP_TARGET_CPU)/$(GNUSTEP_TARGET_OS), and should use
$(GNUSTEP_TARGET_LDIR) rather than
$(GNUSTEP_TARGET_CPU)/$(GNUSTEP_TARGET_OS)/$(LIBRARY_COMBO).  If you follow
that simple rule, your
makefiles should work for both flattened and normal layouts.

Almost certainly I have made errors - this is quite a major change - so I'd
appreciate it if people tested
it and provided feedback (and preferably fixes) for both the flattened and the
normal directory structures.