Re: typesetting text

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: typesetting text
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:51:29 +0100 (CET)

Well, I am getting nearer to some concrete idea - which apparently is -
simply leave out fancy ideas and go on with what Fred already did and
organized - which is quite good and well thought actually.

Everything will be completed as per spec, except NSLayoutManager were we
will move/merge all our existing layout code and try to hide it inside the
class, so it can be replaced later on with better/different/extended code.

I'd simply like few points of interface between the layout engine and the
rest of the text classes.  Many less than in the NSLayoutManger
description.  Because - who knows what happens in the future - things will
be changed I think - if not to implement TeX algorithms - perhaps to use
some future ready-to-use layout library which can render unicode well -
possibly a library of this kind will sooner or later be bundled and
shipped as an X extension.  Or - we might really happen to resolve to use
Pango some point in the future - as Fred suggested - even in this case, we
need to keep the layout manager isolated from the rest of the library if
we want this change to be possible.

NSLayoutManager is a class cluster now which seems to me quite an
appropriate idea - separating the implementation details in the concrete
class from the generic simple interface in the abstract class is exactly
what I'd like to do.