Re: typesetting text

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: typesetting text
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:39:48 +0000

On Friday, December 15, 2000, at 06:01 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

<snipped - a lot of stuff I agree with>

> I like the idea of caching the glyph/"word" information, but that should
> be hidden very deeply in the typesetter or glyph generator, and perhaps
> this is also second on the list, after writing the data structure to
> hold those "words" .

Yes.

> What is missing in your paper is a discussion on how layout could be
> processed in the background. This will make everything a lot more
> complex, but will speed up things from the users point of view.

Probably a secondary task anyway - you want the visible screen to be
updated in the foreground anyway.
I think that what is needed here is -
1. A way of marking stuff as valid - so we know when layout needs to be
done.
2. A way of recognising when layout of the visible area is complete,
and leaving the remainder of the text marked invalid.
I guess that's actually the main part of doing background layout anyway.