Re: work on text

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: work on text
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:36:58 +0100

> .1. cut/copy/paste can be worked out quite separately.  It should be
> working, but there is a problem with fonts: when pasting in Ink.app, fonts
> get corrupted during pasting.  For example, the first word (`INK') is
> `Nimbus Sans L 16 pt' on my system but when I copy and paste it, it is
> pasted in the different font `Nimbus Sans L Bold-Condensed 16 pt'.  Some
> comments inside the cut/copy/paste code suggest also that improvements can
> be made on the way it's implemented internally.

I looked up the copy/paste code, that I wrote some month ago and there
are only two places marked as FIXME. One is about support for images as
an attachment, which is not very urgent, as we don't support text
attachments right now. And the other is about font and rule pasting. As
far as I know this is working well, so I can not explain the behaviour
you get from it. What is wrong is the way it is done right now. We use
an archiver to store the font/paragraph style, which is not necessarily
portable. To get a better solution we should have a way to store a
font/paragraph style in a portable way. The best solution for this I see
in the moment is to use the same trick as now, but to hide it in the
corresponding classes. So we should do the same as we have currently in
the NSColor class, define methods for font and paragraph style to save
and restore them from the pasteboard. These methods could use an
archiver but could be replaced with something else later one.
But this is really no urgent task, perhaps implementing all the missing
NSResponder methods for NSTextView could be put on the list. Or to
resolve the display problem we still have in NSAttributedString, some
formats are ignored even in the standard text of Ink.

To you Nicola, I wish a pleasant stay in Spain (without a computer) and
be careful to swallow your grapes at the tolling of the bell from the
placa major.