Next release of GNUstep

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Next release of GNUstep
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:41:28 +0100

I think that we should rediscuss the release plan for the next GNUstep
release. According to the current plan the release for the base packages
and the gui will be at different dates. But than someone with the new
make and base package wont be able to compile his/her old GUI release.
So I think that we should try to make those release at about the same
date.

For the base/make packages the possible release date depends on what
changes will be done to the make package. Which is a discussion I did
not follow to closely. The base package itself is, as far as I know
almost ready for the 1.0 release.

On the other hand will the proposed release date for the GUI and backend
packages determine how much changes can go into them. I don't think that
a MS Windows backend is realistic within the next two months (Which is
the latest date, that I would like to have for that new release). So we
should postpone this. We should discuss which of the other item on the
task list are the most important for the next release.
I still think that reworking the font handling and text drawing should
be high up on the list. But personally I am still waiting for the
proposal that Wim wanted to write and for the next Suse Linux release
that will include Xfree86 4.0.2 with its better font support.
Beside that I might work on NSColor and on the xDnD code.