Further on Package decoupling

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Further on Package decoupling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:44:29 +0000 (GMT)

The decoupling works as follows:

the gnustep-make, in a critical point inside its common.make, just
when it's the right moment to set the flags :-), does the following:

-include $(GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT)/Makefiles/Additional/*.make

This means that any package needed to set some flags can do it by
installing a .make into that directory.

At present, gnustep-base, gnustep-gui, gnustep-xgps and gnustep-xdps
do this but -

but I encourage people to adopt this way for the few other packages
needing to set flags as well -

libFoundation could easily do that (by moving the code which now is
into make/brain.make into a libFoundation.make to be installed there -
perhaps mixing with any existing needed .make used by libFoundation).

gnustepweb could take advantage of it too - at present it has a set
of very specific flags inside make/brain.make which should really be
set (and possibly configured ?) inside the gnustepweb package too.

This would leave gnustep-make clean of flags which I think is good -
and other packages needing to change their flags would not need to
modify gnustep-make.