Re: Memory Leak in NSString.m

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Memory Leak in NSString.m
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:05:09 +0100

Frederic De Jaeger wrote:
> Ok, I thought about a performance reason but I didn't think  the
> gain could be so important. Usually, you don't need to parse a big
> property list in the inner loops of your code. It may only appends in the
> startup of a prog. Does it really slow down the launch of an
> application ?

Eg in SKYRiX we parse a database model stored in a plist at startup.
This plist is about 200K and startup (and more important: memory
consumption) is significantly reduced by using a fast plist parser
without -autorelease.
(indeed I have modified the libFoundation parser in the same way).

Large plists are not unusual for EOF like applications. Eg they are also
useful for importing/exporting tables.

Greetings
  Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com/
Visit us at CeBIT: hall 4 / booth E52,(414)