Re: Another pre-release, freeze?

From: Jonathan Gapen
Subject: Re: Another pre-release, freeze?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 04:33:50 -0600

address@hidden wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> >     These library dependencies shouldn't appear in executables!  If I
>
> This is the standard behaviour of (at least) FreeBSD.

    I just tested it, and inter-library dependencies do work on my
4.3-BETA system.  If I trash my linker hints (i.e. ``ldconfig
/usr/lib'') and ldd Ink.app again, a bunch of the library dependencies
disappear.

> What happen if the new iconv is incompatible with the old one ?
> An app crash.

    The author should really maintain compatability, or bump the version
number.  But that's irrelevant in this case.  What happened was that I
removed an old iconv library, and libxml2 broke.  I re-compiled libxml2
so it worked again, but I still had to re-link my GNUstep executables,
as they had dependencies on the iconv library used by libxml2, even
though they did not use that library directly.
    Strangely enough, the build has started working right, and GNUstep
executables no longer explicitly depend on the iconv library used by
libxml2.  I think it would be nice to extend this so that GNUstep
executables depend only on libobjc, libgnustep-base, libgnustep-gui,
libgnustep-x{gps|dps}, and the system C library.  (And it'd be even
better if it's possible to remove the GUI backend dependency, too.)