NSProcessInfo on linux 2.2 vs 2.4

From: Karl Kraft
Subject: NSProcessInfo on linux 2.2 vs 2.4
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:04:27 -0700

I recently upgraded a local box to 2.4 for testing out GNUstep, and found
some problems with [NSProcessInfo arguments], namely that every program got
an extra empty argument at the end.

Before I could fix +[NSProcessInfo load], Richard patched it.  However, this
new patch just causes the program to segfault, and the comment by Richard in
the ChangeLog is that the patch will no longer work on 2.2 kernels, which I
expect I will still be supporting for the next three years.

So I'm tempted to rewrite the portion of +load that gets the arguments so
that it works on both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.   However I don't want to break
any other systems in the process, and there are comments and source that
lead me to believe that this same code is used on FreeBSD.  I don't have a
FreeBSD machine to test with, and I'm unsure of the format they are using
for /proc.  Does anyone have any pointers to the exact format on FreeBSD?

In addition, it looks like their is code present for using newline as an
argument separator, which I am stunned by,because \n is a valid character in
a program name or argument.