Re: NSProcessInfo on linux 2.2 vs 2.4

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSProcessInfo on linux 2.2 vs 2.4
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:02:05 +0100

On Thursday, April 12, 2001, at 10:31 PM, Karl Kraft wrote:

What 2.4 kernel are you using?  I'm on a Redhat 6.2 system that I've
upgraded to kernel 2.4.3, with the patches for the loopback file system.
I'm building straight out of current CVS.

I'm using 2.4.3 on RedHat.

My understanding of your comment in ChangeLog is that 2.2 kernels would
always throw away the last argument, not just empty last arguments.

Quoting from the ChangeLog .... 'The new code will lose trailing empty arguments
on older kernels'

I've started rewriting the code to make it cleaner by just reading the file twice, once to get the size, and then reading the entire file into memory,
and simply setting pointers to point to the start of each argument, but
before I finish, can you see something I'm missing as to why this is working
for you on 2.4, but not for me?

I checked the current CVS code against the version running on my machines ... and there is a one line difference that must somehow have been lost. I've updated
CVS to match my running code.

Also, I've checked the compile farm at source forge, and the FreeBSD machine
they have there uses a cmdline in the same file format as linux 2.4.   I
have no idea why the strip newline stuff appears at the bottom of this file.
Does anyone have a pointer as to why this code is in there?

Not me.